Wednesday, November 09, 2005

NA10254.GSQTRENCH1.2a........yuck!

Oh...my.....god!! Do I hate my job. I can't even convey the loathing I have for it, right now. I can feel it slowly sucking the life out of me. I just got home from it and I had to post. It has to be THE MOST BORING JOB IN THE WORLD. I work in a museum, and at first that may seem cool and exciting, but I assure you, it is not.

This is my day, everyday, for weeks now with no end in sight until I quit sometime next month. Every object in the museum, and there are 100's of thousands of them, has an individual number labeled on it called a catalog number. This number is matched up with a record for the object in our database. Type in the number, do a search, get the info about the object, yada, yada, yada. Anyway, I am working on an inventory project that entails basically going over each object, recording its number and its location. Lucky for me, I have assigned that job to some poor Federal Work Study students. I am sure they are back there wishing they could take a turn with the hari-kari knife.

Anyway, after they have recorded the numbers on a sheet, they pass the sheet to me and I sit at the computer, 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week, entering numbers like NA10254.GSQTRENCH1.2a, NA10254.GSQTRENCH1.2b, NA10254.GSQTRENCH1.2c, and so on. You get the picture. No human interaction, no challenges, no thinking involved. At first you may say, "wow that sounds great, better than the stress at my job", well try it for a week and I guarantee you, you will be looking to get back to whatever job you have now. So that is, in a nut shell, why I am changing careers. Sometimes, when Becky comes home from a particularly bad day at the hospital, I ask myself "Do I really want to do this? Leave this easy, unchallenging job, for a stressful one?". So I ask Becky about her day and her job in general and she says that although she is stressed a lot of the time, and feels like there is way too much to do and not enough time to do it, she comes home satisfied that she has done her best, has helped people and knows the work that she does means something and matters. I, on the other hand, have not had that feeling for some time, if I ever did have it at my job.

Well, sorry to put up such a dreary post. Normally, I am not like this. I am generally an up-beat, fun guy, ready to crack a joke. I hope this depressed feeling will go away once I start to make some changes. Anyway, I promise my next post will be more positive.

No comments: