Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Car guy....

I love my car. I know it is silly to love an inanimate object, but I really do enjoy owning it. I recently bought a 2001 VW Jetta and it is great. Its silver and has a manual transmission. Here's a picture of it:



I had driven sticks before but never exclusively, so it took some getting used to thats for sure. I am not looking forward to having to drive it in stop-and-go traffic down in Phoenix once I start school though. One thing I love about it is that it gets great gas milage, especially for being almost 6 years old. It gets 30-31 mpg highway and 25-26 mph city. I just love to look around at all the people driving the big gas guzzlers and shake my head. I mean who needs a hummer to drive 1.87 miles to work in the city. It just doesn't make sense to me. I also really like the European style the Jetta has. Sleak and efficient. Those Germans know what they're doing!

Actually, I'm not really a car guy at all, I have no idea about anything under the hood, although I do know the basics (changing the air filter, rotating the tires, changing the break pads, etc). I just didnt grow up with it like a lot of guys did. I think that my generation was more interest in electronics. I could take a computer or printer apart and put it back together long before I would know what to do with a carburetor. My dad always did the servicing of our family cars himself and only took it to the garage when he didn't have the right tools for the job, and believe me that was not very often. Even my older brother (granted he is 15 years older than me) knows more about cars. I just never got into it. Sometimes I wish I did know more about how the internal combustion enguine works and when someone asks me why their car is making a funny sound, I can say with confidence "oh, that sounds like the strutts on the mounting head next to the Johnson rod {insert additional motor jargon here}....", but unfortunately I wouldn't know where to start. Maybe in my next life I can be a real car guy. Who knows!?

No comments: